Monday, September 3, 2007

Out of the Blue



How could you not love Boise? When Vince and I put together Kyle's highlight film, all we knew at the time was that Boise was in the Top 25. We knew Kyle could play anywhere, but it was late in the recruiting season and most schools had already made their offers. With little options and time ticking away, I made a highlight tape over Thanksgiving break and fedex'd 25 copies to the top 25 programs in the country. Boise was the first to respond and the rest was history. Little did I know, our little video would have such a profound effect on the Boise community.

For those of you who watched the Fiesta Bowl on TV, all I can say was the live game was the most exciting game I've ever witnessed. Not only was the whole family there, but our seats were in the corner of the endzone where all of the magic took place. We couldn't have asked for a better view.

Now I'll be the first to admit. After the interception I thought it was over. I recall an Oklahoma fan who had never said a word during the entire game, came over to our seats after the pick and say, "Win or lose, this was a hell of a game." I sat there thinking to myself, if you don't get your sorry, chicken-$hit ass out of my face I'm going to throw you down the stairs. A real sportsman would not have waited until his team was on the verge of winning to start gloating. Anyway, instead of leaving the stadium, my girlfriend reminded us the game was not over and we just needed faith. And after all was said and done, she was absolutely right (as usual).

How could you not love Boise? Boise State is much more than a football team. Much more than Blue Turf. Much more than a some university in the middle of Idaho. Boise is all about faith.

Faith; if you're a great prospect and no one has found you yet, Boise State will. Faith; if you're an underdog and nobody believes you can do it, Boise State will show you how. At some point in life, we all need a little faith in whatever we do in order to make things happen. Like I said, Boise State is much more than a football team.

I'm so proud of the school. So proud of the team. So proud of the coaches. So proud that I had a small role in history.

Now.....I'm not in the movie, nor am I receiving any royalties.....but I would like to invite all of my readers to check out Out of the Blue. You can't see it in the theaters unless you live in Boise. Everyone else, we'll have to get the DVD. Why am I recommending this movie without ever seeing it? Because I feel like I lived it. I've followed the school ever since the day we sent the highlight tape and I want to share my experience with everyone I know.

I know it will be difficult, if not impossible to top last season. But if I had to think of one team that could find a way to make it happen, it would be Boise State.

B-O-I-S-E!! S-T-A-T-E!!