Tuesday, September 4, 2007

This is why I live in the Northeast

First, I would like to thank everyone for reading my blog. The readership is growing every month and I welcome all feedback as well as comments (I hide from no one.) Now I usually don't post on political issues, but the recent events have left me no choice.

As crazy as the story of the Jena 6 sounds, many still have no idea. To be honest, I only heard about the story sometime last month. (I know, I know....I should be ashamed of myself.) But seriously, why is there no US media coverage of the case? Not CNN, ABC, NBC....I won't even mention Fox. Why do I have to read articles from publications overseas discussing racism in the US? Before you hear me go off, watch this quick video.



See, this is why I can't live in the South. I was born, raised, and schooled in NJ, but my mom's side of the family is from Mississippi. Every summer my brothers and I would go visit my family in MS. Every summer I would get scolded by my cousins, aunts, uncles, and family friends. Why might you ask? Because I didn't know my role.

They were absolutely right. I didn't know my role (and still don't.) I don't care where you are from or who you are or how much money you make, there are some things that I will not tolerate. #1, please do not try to speak to me in a condescending manner. That's only going to bring out the beast. #2, my name is Gerry, not boy, not kid, not (I won't even type it.)

So, you can imagine what happens when you mix a literate, intelligent, slick talking, young man from NJ with some of that down south nonsense you've just witnessed in the video. It's not a good look. Needless to say, I'm banned from Mississippi or anywhere south of Philly for that matter.

Now this brings me to Jena, Louisiana, population 2,971. What the f*ck is going on down there? Can someone please help me answer these questions:

  • Why would some child have to ask if they could sit under a tree on school grounds? At a public school! (I don't know if this is true, but if it is, I'd have to pack my bags and leave Jena, LA asap.)
  • If a grown man pulls a shotgun out on you and you "wrestle" the gun away from him, how could you be charged with theft of a firearm? (I don't know if this is true, but if this happened to me, I'd have to pack my bags and leave Jena, LA asap.)
  • Since when did hanging nooses with school colors become a popular, juvenile prank? (I don't know if this is true, but if it is, I'd take it as a warning, pack my bags and leave Jena, LA asap.)
  • I've heard of out-of-school suspension for fighting, but when did getting into a school yard fight become a crime punishable by 22 years in prison. (I don't know if this is true, but if it is, I'd pack my bags and leave Jena, LA asap.)
Without getting into all of the he said, she said politics, I still find this case quite troubling. With all of this controversy, why is there minimal media coverage on the Jena 6? No one wants to touch this case except the obvious Rev. and Rev. All I want are the facts. Just the facts.

Since I don't have the facts and I can only get second hand facts from across the Atlantic Ocean, my only real advice to the people of Jena, LA is to follow that North Star.