Sunday, August 5, 2007

And I thought the X-Games was boring

I'd be the first to admit that I didn't really like skateboarding. I though it was for geeks who couldn't play a real sport......I take it ALL back. I watched my first X Games this past week and have a new found respect for these modern day Evil Knievels. On my JetBlue flight from Vegas (yes, I'm up), I had nothing better to do than watch 5 straight hours of skateboarders, bikers, and other crazy, young guys/girls defying gravity and performing some of the most amazing tricks I've ever seen. I never knew this sport (I'm officially recognizing it as a sport) required ridiculous skills, tremendous body control, strength, creativity, grace, and most importantly reckless abandon that one would have difficulty finding from the toughest in the NFL..........I mean they hang low. Very low.

Here's a sample:

Adam Jones bustin a Shaolin flip! (I'm even learning the lingo!)


Todd Potter rocks his kamikaze flip - Kiss of Death Backflip!


Kyle Loza's Gold medal trick.


These guys make it look so easy. Makes me want to go out there and pick up a skateboard and start flippin.....SIKE!!

Now let's talk about Jake Brown and his fall from grace. If you don't know who/what I'm talking about, just scroll down below. Before you do that, here is a video of Jake Brown performing some sick tricks. Please watch this video before you go any further. It will give you a good idea how skilled Jake is.


VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED. If you haven't seen this on ESPN and refuse to live in the 21st century and watch TV, please prepare yourself.


I was fooled into thinking this stuff was fun and games. This fall reminded me never to ride a skateboard. I saw this clip on the plane without my headphones on.....good thing I didn't hear the SMACK! Take a deep breath.


Let's take a look from another angle (homemade film).


One more time for good measure (on the jumbotron).


Jake, I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for introducing me to the sport.