Sunday, August 26, 2007

If my dad ever...

When it rains, it pours. I've refrained from posting on the Mike Vick situation because there really isn't too much to say. I'm sure never in his wildest dreams would Vick ever believe his career would come to an abrupt end because of his dog fighting. I can't even begin to imagine what is going on in Mike's head right now. I mean seriously.....it was all good just a week ago.

Just a couple of months ago I posted a joke on the Facebook wall of a friend/classmate, Chris (son of Gerald Poindexter), saying that his dad was going to ruin the Falcons season with these trumped up charges. I warned him to tell his pops to chill before the entire city of Atlanta comes to Surry County and beats his a$$. Little did I know, his dad, Surry County Commonwealth's Attorney, was not going to be Vick's achilles' heel. Who would have thought that Vick's own father would rat him out?

I guess I could understand why Vick's Co-d's would cop pleas and leave their "friend" out to dry, but his FATHER. If my dad ever......................................I would have to do more damage than Randy Couture did to Gonzaga's nose.

I know father-son relationships can be hard. I'm thankful everyday for the relationship I have with my father. Sure he constantly reminds me of danger and opportunity or tells the same jokes or at times can be overbearing, but what father who is proud of his three sons wouldn't be supportive? It's because of him that I work so hard at what I do (and why I'm so aggressive/overbearing/dedicated). Failure is not an option......especially when we only have a limited number of opportunities in life.

I still can't understand this. What would drive a father to go on national tv and sell out his son? His own flesh and blood. Basically, Michael Boddie put the last nail in the coffin. At least Abraham could say God told him to do it. I'm thoroughly disgusted!

I'm sure I've done some things in my 29 years that my dad didn't like. I'm sure there are some things that he down right hated. But in the end, we talked about it and worked things out. I think that's what makes a relationship stronger. I can't think of a single thing I could ever do that would give my father the impetus to arrange from my sodomization in a Federal penitentiary.

It's things like this that make me wish Father's Day was once a month, not once a year. I don't think we take the time to really thank the dads that not only shield their children from prison, but actually act as role models. I'm glad I have my role model. I'm glad my father has been in my corner every day for 29 years straight.

Thanks Dad for having my back.