Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Power of Facebook (I can't believe I'm saying this)

I'll be the first to admit, I'm a self-proclaimed Mark Zuckerberg hater. I'm not sure how we've gotten to where we are today, but Facebook is all over the place. The more I try to run from it, the more difficult it becomes to avoid the revolution. I think I came to this realization sometime last week. While connecting with an old classmate, I saw that he joined a group called "Don't Name Princeton's Mascot."


Prior to logging in Facebook, I had no idea that this "contest" existed. Some genius at the university thought it would be a good idea to name the Princeton mascot. How idiotic (for a plethora of reasons)! I immediately joined the group and proceeded to invite every single Princeton friend. 20 minutes later I had 20 friends join me. The wall posts on the group page confirmed that my outrage was not alone. As of right now, there are 500+ members. Now I can't say that we've won the battle, but the link to the asinine contest has been removed from the varsity sports homepage.

Is our group that powerful? Is Facebook the next Google? Did Mark just punk Shirley? I won't go so far as to say yes, but something happened. Something potentially powerful.

Mark...c'mon bro. Make me like you. Just admit it. You didn't plan this revolution. You got a lot of help. I would respect you a lot more if you just admit that luck has a lot to do with Facebook's success.