Friday, May 11, 2007

It Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None)


Is it just me or is this absolutely ridiculous. 34 Duke bschool students face disciplinary action for cheating on an open book take home exam. Let me get this straight. Cheating on a bschool open book take home exam. What an f*cking oxymoron! (remember my original disclaimer)

I didn't attend Fuqua, but I can say that I've graduated from probably the most rigorous bschool program in the world. (Yes I'm proud to be a Sloanie!) Having spoken with peers from other top bschools, I believe team work and task delegation are the most important skills that one learns from bschool. Bschool is unlike any other masters program. The focus is not on depth, but rather breath of knowledge. No matter what bschool you attend, it is IMPOSSIBLE to do all of the reading and all of the work alone. If you manage to do so, then you've completely missed the whole purpose of bschool and just flushed 100k+ down the $hitter. Why you may ask? Bschool is about breath of business knowledge and learning to work with differnt types of people. Rote memory is best left to the bookworms. (Yes, this is an MIT graduate talking.)

Now, I don't know all of the details so I can't really comment. What I can say is collaborative effort and group thought is paramount at most bschools. These precepts coupled with effective time management dogma teach bschool students (the corporate leaders of tomorrow) to work together for a common goal. Does this mean cheat? Absolutely not. I am too much of a competitor to ever condone cheating. At the same time, institutions of higher learning cannot preach teamwork out one side of the mouth and then at the 11th hour except students to study and perform in a completely different manner.

Is Fuqua getting a bad rap for what happens everywhere? Absolutely. At the end of the day, bschool is about having fun and making life long connections with friends. Even Snoop can tell you, it Ain't No Fun (If The Homies Can't Have None) and he didn’t need to go to Sloan or Fuqua.